Dental crowns are fixed prosthetics that are cemented to existing teeth or connected to implants via an abutment. Their main purpose is to cover and protect natural teeth that were damaged either from decay or a dental injury.
When Would You Need a Crown?
Rancho Mirage dentist says dental crown is required for below reasons:
- Discolored Teeth: If you do not like the way your teeth look due to color, shape, or visible gaps, crowns can make them look natural and beautiful. Dental veneers are a form of cosmetic crowns that enhance the look of your front teeth.
- Replacement of Filling: Dentist near 92270 says if you a dental filling then you are at risk of fracture so the dental crown is recommended for protection.
- Protection of Weak Tooth: Dental crown gives amazing protection to the weak tooth.
- Prevention of further fracturing: Dental crowns help in protecting the teeth with lines or cracks from fracturing.
- Covering Dental Implants: Crowns are placed on dental implants to restore spaces left from missing teeth.
Dental bridges take the concept of dental crowns and expand their versatility even further. A bridge consists of three dental prosthetics and is mainly intended to replace one or multiple missing teeth. A dental crown has two other crowns attached on either side. In order to create room for the bridge, the dentist removes a very small amount of existing tooth enamel, allowing the crowns on either side to fit on top of your teeth.
When choosing a restoration, you’ll need to take your dentist’s advice and consider the extent of the damage currently in your mouth. Like if you have a large cavity or are pursuing root canal treatment, a dental crown will be necessary. If the damage isn’t as extensive, a filling may be enough. If you intend on replacing an entire tooth, you’ll need a bridge to prevent over eruption from occurring. When teeth are missing, other teeth begin to shift into the empty space. This will cause your bite to change and may cause complications later in life.