Could Your Jaw Pain Be TMJD?
The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) in your jaw connects your skull and jawbone together. You have one joint on each side of your jaw, and one or both of them can cause discomfort when they become inflamed. When home remedies fail to bring the relief you need, it’s good to know that you can count on Cros Dental to provide effective TMJ treatment in Rancho Mirage, CA.
Common Symptoms of TMJ Disorder
While the presentation of TMJ looks different for everyone, some symptoms are more typical than others. These include:
- Popping or clicking sounds when you chew or open your mouth wide, such as during a yawn. The sounds occur because the disc in your jaw joint shifts during movement.
- You experience arthritis-like pain in your jaw joints, which may be from TMJ disorder or undiagnosed arthritis.
- Pain in the facial muscles, especially the cheeks and temples, is also common. Soreness and stiffness in these areas develops due to teeth grinding, which you may not even be aware of doing as you sleep.
- Dull, aching pain in or around your ear.
- Your jaw locks periodically, making it difficult to open or close your mouth.
What to Expect with TMJ Treatment in Rancho Mirage, CA
Dr. Ray Cros, Dr. Sheri Cross, or Dr. Maria Garcia will prepare a treatment plan to address your unique needs after examining your teeth and jaws. Fortunately, most cases of TMJ disorder respond well to non-invasive treatment methods. For example, you can include more soft foods in your diet, apply heat or ice to your jaw, or complete stretching exercises.
Our team always starts with conservative treatment methods first and only recommends solutions like cortisone injections in the jaw, TMJ surgery, or certain dental procedures when the first recommendations do not relieve discomfort. Please don’t hesitate to contact Cros Dental if you recognize any of the TMJ disorder symptoms described above.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!